So, the last time this site got a brief wave of press was back in October, and a lot of the coverage focused on my “lack” of children, which sucked. Knowing that the book response could have been more of the same, I decided to take some proactive measures so as to not go crazy like the last time (which prompted posts like this and this). Those things included practicing deep breathing, getting plenty of rest, and maintaining a steady diet of carnitas tacos and guacamole, which has been delicious.
It’s all worked out pretty well the past couple of weeks, but there was one comment, written on the STFU, Parents Facebook page, that I simply couldn’t keep confined to that page. It’s just too good. This is the stuff the blog is made of (and the type of person the blog was made for):
ZING. Tricia wins Sanctimommy of the Day fo sho. I do hope she felt better after venting. I’m totally picturing her yelling “BOOYAKASHAH!!” at the computer and then texting all of her girlfriends: “Ummm I just told a total stranger that she’s wasting her life on her own Facebook page. #mommyneedswine #makeitadouble LOL.” Oh, Tricia.
Then, a few days ago, I went on Huffington Post Live and said the thing that I usually say about how the blog doesn’t get that much hate mail and most people tend to like okay it if they read a few pages (which is true). Within a few hours, I received this sweet love note:
Daaaaaaaamn, that’s cold!
Here’s what bothers me about this email: In the subject, Emma says I deserve the title of Cunt with a capital C, but in the body, she just reduces me to a stale old typical cunt, lowercase c. Thanks a lot, Emma. I’ll be staring at my computer screen pondering this embarrassing discrepancy for the rest of my life.
And now, a round-up of interviews about the book as well as several discussions about “childlessness” and overshare for those of you who are interested in checking them out:
- CNN posted an awesome Q&A with a funny gallery, and then the next day talk show host Don Lemon and his guest panelists had a chat about the book and parent overshare. It was amazing. Go here to read the article and here to watch the clip (starts at 7:20). [CNN]
- As mentioned, I went on Huffington Post Live with my “Internet friends” Nancy Redd, Jessica Gottlieb, and Kim from One Classy Motha aka the inventor of Beaver Babies. [HuffPost]
- My homies at Mommyish posted about the GMA appearance. [Mommyish]
- Jeanne Sager over at The Stir posted a popular article titled ‘17 Most Annoying Things About Parents (According to People Without Kids’. [The Stir]
- Mary Beth Williams interviewed me for Salon and chose an excellent closing line. [Salon]
- Mom’s Gold Star winner Claire Zulkey interviewed me for WBEZ. [WBEZ]
- Jen Doll did a Q&A with me for The Atlantic Wire (and asked me what my mom thinks of the blog). [The Atlantic Wire]
- Kristen Kemp at Parents.com featured a fun ‘n short interview about the book. [Parents]
- Bitch Magazine ran an interview and asked about “insufferable parent shenanigans” in Brooklyn. [Bitch]
- Judy McGuire from the Mike & Judy Show (which I’ve been on twice and am going on again this weekend!) wrote an article for Tumblr’s Storyboard. [Storyboard]
- Nicole Cliffe included the book in a great books round-up on The Hairpin. [The Hairpin]
- The Pudding posted a Q&A and sprinkled submissions from the blog throughout the post. I enjoyed that. [The Pudding]
- Babble featured a gallery of 20 overshares from the blog in conjunction with the book. [Babble]
- Policy Mic wrote the article with arguably the best lede, AND they included a picture of the baby cake from the Book Shower. [Policy Mic]
- Brooklyn Based, which is my favorite events mailer in my adopted hometown, ran an interview about the book. [Brooklyn Based]
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which is the newspaper that I used to sell door-to-door in my original hometown, ran an interview about me and the book. [AJC]
- A blogger at the AJC took issue with the blog/book and essentially compared pictures of poopy diapers to pictures of toes on the beach. [AJC Momania]
- Dustin Rowles over at Pajiba shook things up with his post ‘STFU, Childless People.’ [Pajiba]
- The Wall Street Journal wrote an article (and referenced this post) about the book and the Book Shower. (If you hit a paywall, you can Google the title.) [WSJ]
- Last but not least, I got “realer than real” in a personal interview about blogging with Alice Wright from Get Off My Internets. [GOMI]
Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to talk with me and/or check out the book! And thank you to the great blogs that have hosted book giveaways so far: Fucked In Park Slope, One Classy Motha, The Mouthy Housewives, and Motherhood In NYC.
Also, for anyone who’s reading in L.A., I’ll be on a panel next weekend called The Politics of Parenting* at the L.A. Times Festival of Books on Sunday, April 21st at 12:30pm. If you’re in the area, I hope you’ll come by and get a book signed!
*your guess is as good as mine regarding my qualifications for this